What is Project CREATE?
In 2012, SERRC was awarded an Alaska Native Equity Program through the US DOE grant to partner with the Bering Strait School District to find a way to integrate the Alaska Cultural Standards for Educators into teacher evaluation. Within that grant, SERRC accomplished much of the state and nation-wide relevance:
- Creating indicators and evidences for identifying culturally relevant teaching.
- Embedding indicators and evidences into Learning Sciences International’s iObservation Software Platform for use statewide and nationally.
- Trained district staff, school administrators, and teachers to teach and evaluate using a culturally responsive approach.
Materials and resources from this work include:
- Publication: Culture in the Classroom®: Indicators and Evidences for Evaluating Culturally Proficient Teaching (available on Amazon.com)
- Publication: Guide to Evaluating Teaching for Cultural Proficiency ongoing