What is PASSAGES for Academic Success?
PASSAGES for Academic Success is an Alaska Native Education Program (ANEP) grant awarded to SERRC in 2015, partnering SERRC with 8 school districts (Kake, Craig, Hoonah, Klawock, Kodiak, Sitka, Skagway and Wrangell), local Alaska Native community leaders, Sealaska Heritage Institute, Modern Teacher, and Teaching Channel TEAMS to bring professional learning with a culturally proficient mindset to teachers.
What is PASSAGES Purpose?
The purpose of PASSAGES is to implement a solid program of professional development that will provide teachers with access to resources for building culturally responsive classrooms and instruction. This will be accomplished using blended professional learning technology, digital cultural resources, and video-based professional learning communities that educators will contribute to and learn from.
- Technology platforms, methods, and systems for increasing teacher growth and development are operated by teachers for self-directed learning.
- Language and cultural resources are accessible through 21st Century technology to teachers and students.
- Culturally responsive instruction becomes the norm and supports increased student engagement and achievement.
- Teachers work collaboratively to design blended instruction that incorporates culturally responsive teaching practices with content.
- Community engagement and support for schools and teachers increases as collaborative relationships form between communities and teachers.
Materials and resources from this work include:
- Professional learning modules around Culture in the Classroom®
- Face-to-face trainings
- CulturallyProficientSchools.org will serve as the project’s online product dissemination tool.